Admin-managed event types are in private beta.
In this tutorial, you will create and assign an admin-managed event type to a user. Along the way, you will lock and sync settings in your event type. Lastly, you’ll update the event type after it’s been assigned to a user, and you’ll see the update sync over to the assigned user.
Before you begin…
- This tutorial will take around 25 minutes to complete.
- You must be a Calendly admin on the Teams or Enterprise plan.
- You must have already added users to your Calendly account.
Step 1: Create an admin-managed event type
- To create an admin-managed event type, navigate to Account, and select Admin Management.
- Select the Admin-managed events tab.
- Select Create.
- Select Create for either a one-on-one or group event type. For more details on these event types, view Configure event types.
Step 2: Build your event basics and lock them
Next, you'll build your event basics and lock the section.
1. At the top of the page, choose your invitee language.
The invitee language controls the language your invitees see on the booking page and the language of the notifications they receive.
2. In the section, What event is this?, toggle on Lock this section?, so that users will not be able to edit this section.
The Admin Only Setting: Lock this section? feature is unique to admin-managed event types.
You’ll notice that users will still be able to edit location. This gives users the flexibility to change their video conferencing option, or update their location details.
3. Under Event name, choose the event name that will appear on your booking page. For the purpose of this tutorial, you can call the event “Test event.”
4. Under Location, select where you’d like to host the meeting.
|5. Under Description/Instructions, enter any important details you’d like the invitee to see as they book, like links to terms and conditions or a checklist invitees need to complete before meeting.||
6. Under Event link, choose your event link name.
Calendly will automatically generate an event link for you if you don't specify one.
|7. Under Event color, select an event color. The color dot will show on your scheduling page.||
|8. When your setup looks good, select Next.||
Step 3: Set up event availability
Once the event basics look good, set up the availability for the event.
|1. Under When can people book this event?, define your availability preferences for your event, like deciding the duration, date range, and frequency of the event.
This section does not lock, so users can edit it.
To learn more about availability preferences, view Schedules and defining your availability and Managing additional rules for your availability.
|2. Under How do you want to offer your availability for this event type?, consider using your users' default schedule, so that you can honor each user’s available hours.|
|3. When complete, select Next.|
Step 4: Add additional options to your event (optional)
There are a few sections under Additional Options that you can choose to set up. These are the sections you can customize:
1. Invitee Questions
1. Under Invitee Questions, you can edit how Name appears on the booking form. Hover over the Name section and select the pencil icon.
2. You have the option to +Add New Question. This is a good option if you’d like to gather more information from your invitees.
|3. If you’d like for all users to use the same questions, in the same order, you can toggle on lock this section.
Locking will make sure that all invitee questions are consistent, which is important if you push answers to external platforms, like Salesforce.
|4. Select Save & Close.|
2. Notifications and Cancellation Policy
|1. Under Notifications and Cancellation Policy, you can choose to turn on or off email and SMS reminders and follow-ups, and create a cancellation policy.|
|2. Note that the notification section will automatically lock, so your users will not be able to edit it.|
3. Confirmation Page
|Under Confirmation Page, you can edit the page an invitee is shown once they’ve booked with you.
You can offer an option to schedule another Calendly event, add custom links such as a customer success story, or skip the confirmation page entirely and redirect to an external site of your choice. You cannot lock this section.
4. Collect Payments
Under Collect Payments, you can collect money for the event.
To collect money, your users must first integrate with PayPal and/or Stripe from their Integrations page. Once enabled, invitees must provide payment details before they can schedule. You cannot lock this section.
5. If you’ve edited any of these sections, remember to select Save & Close for each section.
Step 5: Assign your event type
Now that your event type is built, you can assign your event type to one or more users.
- Select Assign to people, then select Assign.
- Type in the name of the user(s) you’d like to add, then select Add.
- From the Assign tab, you will see all the users that have this event assigned to them. You can choose to assign more users, or unassign any users. Note: Calendly is exploring ways to assign event types to all users and groups.
- From the user’s page, the user will see that their event type is admin-managed, and they will see certain sections are read only:
Step 6: Make edits to a locked section, and notice them sync over
For this last step, you’ll edit the event name and see how the name automatically updates for the user.
- Navigate to your Admin-managed events page. To do so, go to Account, select Admin Management, then select the Admin-managed events tab.
- Select the “Test event” you just set up.
- Under What event is this?, go to Event name and change the name to something else. For example, name it “Intro call”, “Account review”, or whatever will be most useful for you and your team.
- Select Save & Close.
- Go to the assigned user’s page (Select Home, then go to the My Calendly dropdown and select the assigned users). Notice how the name of the event has automatically updated. Note: If you don’t see the name update, make sure you locked the What event is this? section. You must always lock a section in order to sync updates to the user.
Congrats! You have built and assigned an admin-managed event type! 🎉
Your invitees should see a booking page that looks something like this:
If you need to make any edits to the event type, you can do so directly from the Admin-managed events tab. Remember that only locked sections will sync over with edits.
- Make sure your users connect their video conferencing account
- Make sure your users set up a schedule with their available hours