In Calendly speak, Event types are parameters for meetings. They are used to define the type of meeting you (the host) are going to have, and set up how someone else (the invitee) meets with you. There are many settings you can manage with an event type. In this article we will focus on the required settings:
- The number of hosts and invitees
- The language of your booking page
- The meeting name and location
- The meeting duration
- Your availability for a meeting to occur
Before you begin
- If you plan to use an online meeting application, such as Zoom or GoTo Meeting, integrate it with Calendly so your guests can join from their calendar invitation (check out this article for instructions).
- If you are on Calendly's free plan, you can create as many event types as you want, but can only have one (1) event type active at a time. If you have a paid Calendly subscription (Essentials or higher,) you can have unlimited active event types and can create as many as you want!
To create a new event type
- From the Calendly Home page, use the blue + Create button to select New Event Type.
- Choose an event type to use as your meeting parameters. There are 4 event types to choose from, depending on your subscription plan.
- One-on-one: One host (you) and one invitee (someone meeting with you); included in the free and all paid subscriptions.
- Group: One host and multiple invitees; included in Essentials plan and higher.
- Collective: Multiple hosts (who can also be users on your account) and one invitee; included in the Professional plan and higher.
- Round Robin: One host and one invitee, but the host can cycle between users on your account; included in the Teams plan and higher.
- After selecting your event type, you will be prompted to enter an Event Name, Location, and optionally, a description.
- The event link will automatically become whatever name you give the event, but you can change it if you desire.
- The event color can also be changed from this screen if you want to color code your events.
- Next you will need to choose the event Date range and Duration.
- At Date Range, indicate how far into the future guests can book with you. You can select a certain number of business or calendar days ahead, a specific date range, or indefinitely.
- At Event Duration, choose the length of the event. You can select 15, 30, 45, and 60 minute windows, or Custom to choose a different minute or hour duration.
- The last mandatory step is choosing how you want to offer your availability. You can use an existing schedule, or select Custom hours to make a new span of time to accept meetings.
- This schedule will be used, alongside your connected calendar, to show invitees available meeting times.
- When you sign up for Calendly, you are given a default schedule of Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm (900 to 1400).
- If you select Custom Hours, you will be prompted to enter your availability in intervals. The steps for this can be found here.
- There are other availability options, such as buffers, but they are not necessary to create an event.
- Select Next to save your event type and turn it on!
Adding permissions to your event
Note: This feature is currently in beta.
If you are on the Calendly Professional plan or higher, you are able to edit which users can edit, share, or view your event. To do so:
From the home menu, select the gear icon for your event type.
Select Edit Permissions/Edit hosts
- You can also find this button from the event type edit screen.
Type in and select which user you want to grant permissions to.
You have three options to choose from:
Can edit: can make changes to an event type’s settings (see how to edit an event type here)
Can view: can see the event type in their account and share the event’s booking link, but cannot make any edits to the event itself
Remove from event type: remove any existing permissions for a user
Save any changes.
The next step is to share your link! You can get your meeting link straight from the event type screen by clicking Share.