Account migration is a feature in Calendly that allows organizations with multiple Calendly accounts to merge their separate accounts into a single, unified organization. It's a process aimed at simplifying account management by providing a central location from which to manage users, events, and integrations. This is particularly useful when different teams or departments within the same organization have been operating independently with their own Calendly accounts or organizations.
What does account migration involve?
Account migration is the process of migrating users and their pertinent information from one Calendly organization to another. This carefully managed process ensures minimal disruption to the users and maintains the integrity of their associated data.
Account Migration Process Breakdown
- Contact Calendly: Begin your migration preparations by contacting your Calendly representative or reaching out to support. Your Calendly contact will guide you through the account migration process.
- Check Subscriptions and Available Seats: Make sure your organization has an active Calendly subscription and sufficient available seats to accommodate the incoming users. If your organization does not currently meet these requirements, please reach out to your dedicated Customer Success Manager (CSM) and/or Account Executive for assistance in updating your subscription or increasing your seat availability.
- List Accounts for Migration: Compile a list of accounts you want to merge into your organization. Your Calendly contact can help you identify accounts if you do not have access to this information. Once finalized, share this list with your designated Calendly representative, who will assist in flagging these accounts for migration.
- Communicate with Users: Once accounts are flagged for migration, the respective users will receive notifications via email and an in-app banner alert. Advise your users to export any team, shared, and managed event types they want to retain, as these will not be automatically transferred during migration. If preferred, you can request to suppress the banner message or the email notification about impending migration.
- Initiate Migration: As an organization owner or administrator, you have the authority to begin the migration process. This is done by extending invitations to flagged users to join the new organization. Navigate to the "Migrating" tab in the Admin Management portal to perform this task. Note that users must be logged into their account and accept these invitations to finalize their migration.
- Transition of Ownership: Any migrating user who is currently an organization owner in their existing setup must appoint a new owner prior to migration. Please be aware that this migration process does not automatically alter any other aspects of the plan, seat count, or billing information.
- Account Availability: Please inform users that their Calendly accounts will be temporarily unavailable during the migration process. The exact duration of this downtime will be determined and communicated ahead of time.
- Downgrading and Deletion of Empty Organizations: When a paid organization loses its last member to migration, the system will automatically downgrade it to a free account and delete it. Users should contact Calendly's support team to retrieve any necessary billing records from these former organizations.
Note: We are currently addressing scenarios involving users who are administrators in their current organizations. We will update this guide with detailed instructions once a resolution has been reached.
- Migration Confirmation: After the migration process is successfully completed, users will see a pop-up message confirming their migration to the new organization.
- Migration Tracking: As an administrator, you can monitor the progress of user migrations within the Admin Management portal. This platform provides comprehensive records of migration outcomes, including any errors, failures, and successful transfers.
- Re-Login Required: Following the acceptance of their invitation to the new organization, users will be automatically logged out from their accounts across all platforms. To access their new accounts, they will need to log in again.
- Adjusting Licenses and Plans: If only a portion of an existing paid organization's members are migrated, the owner of the original organization will be responsible for any necessary adjustments to licenses or plans. These changes can be made using Calendly's existing self-service tools.
What information is migrated?
Expand and review the table below for information on information that is and isn't migrated.
During migration, certain key data elements and user attributes are transferred to ensure continuity of the user experience in the new organization.
The unique link that users share to invite others to schedule meetings with them is transferred.
|The user's availability settings, which define when they are free to meet, are carried over.
|Individual Event Types
|As many event types as possible are transferred, with a guaranteed transfer of individual event types.
|Routing forms are not migrated.
|Team, Shared, & Managed Event Types
Team, shared, and managed event types are not migrated.
|Event Type Templates
Event type templates are not migrated.
Any calendars connected to the user's Calendly account are transferred.
|Critical User Level Integrations
|Critical integrations at the user level, such as video conferencing setups and connected calendars are migrated.
|Zapier and Payment Related Integrations
Zapier and payment related integrations (Paypal, Stripe) are not transferred.
|User Profile Data
Personal profile data, including name, profile picture, contact information, and other details, are moved.
|Past events, meetings, and other historical activities are not transferred.
|All scheduled events (past and future) will remain active on the customer’s calendar.
For tax purposes, billing records are not transferred during migration. These remain with the original organization, ensuring compliance with tax regulations and best practices.
|Organization Level Integrations
|Integrations at the organization level including Salesforce, HubSpot, and Google Analytics, are not migrated.
What are its limitations?
While account migration is designed to be a comprehensive and seamless process, there are some inherent limitations:
- No Concurrent Membership in Multiple Organizations: One of the fundamental principles of account migration is that a user cannot be a member of two organizations simultaneously. Once a user is marked for migration, their transition to the new organization is imminent and exclusive.
- No Transfer of Historical Data: The migration process does not include the migration of historical data from the original organization. This means past events, meetings, and other historical activities are not transferred. Meetings that have been scheduled, but have not happened yet will still show in the Scheduled Events Tab*
- Billing Records Remain with Original Organization: For tax purposes, billing records are not transferred during migration. These records remain with the original organization, ensuring compliance with tax regulations and record-keeping best practices.
- Email Address Freeze: Once a user is marked for migration, their email address cannot be changed until the process is complete. However, updates to all other data are allowed and will be migrated as expected.
- No Migration of Polls: Ongoing polls will not be migrated, and any polls in progress will be deleted during the migration process.